What’s the greatest gift your mother ever gave you?

Rarely do I use my blog to post personal things but I felt the need to share this with you. The other day I stumbled across a website that really got to me that asked the reader to submit the greatest gift their mother ever gave them. I’m very fortunate to have my mother with me as many of my friends have lost a parent. Life always seems to get in the way and I never have really told my mother how much she means to me (other then the standard “I love you”). When I read some excerpts from the story, I felt compelled to let my mother know what her greatest gift to me has been. I hear a lot of stories in the office where I work from clients whose parents are in a nursing home and suffering from dementia or Alzheimer's and it makes me think that you can never know what the future will hold and how important it is to make time for a loved one no mater how hectic life may get. So with that I share with you what I wrote my mother and if you're fortunate enough to still have your parents around, you should do the same.

I wanted you to know the greatest gift you ever gave me was a sense of humor. Looking back on my childhood, the thing that really stands out is how much you made me laugh. I never realized it till now but all my close friends have to meet the requirement of making me laugh otherwise I don't want them around. As I move through life and things change, it's the one thing about myself that will always remain consistent and I'm so grateful for it. Even though we don't talk all the time and sometimes weeks go by with out contacting you, each time I laugh, you're with me.


    Digg Del.icio.us StumbleUpon Reddit Twitter RSS
blog comments powered by Disqus